Pattern’s El Arrayan Wind, Chile’s Largest Wind Project, Officially Opens

0

Pattern Energy and several dignitaries were on hand to help celebrate the opening of the 115 MW El Arrayan wind farm, located north of Santiago on the coast of Chile.

According to Pattern Energy, 50 Siemens 2.3 MW wind turbines power the El Arrayan facility, which completed construction in June. The wind farm is seen as an important beginning for Chile as it aims to transform its energy portfolio.

‘I'm very happy to be here today because this project is important for our present and future energy needs,’ says Michelle Bachelet, president of Chile. ‘El Arrayan is the biggest wind farm in Chile, and we are pleased at what we can achieve when we use the natural resources the earth has to offer. This project is another step toward meeting our energy agenda objectives. We want to have 45% of our energy come from clean energy resources by 2025.’

Pattern Energy owns 70% of the El Arrayan wind farm, which it also operates. The remaining 30% is owned by Antofagasta Minerals SA (AMSA).

According to Pattern, the project sells approximately 70% of its output to Minera Los Pelambres through a long-term fixed-for-floating hedge. The remaining output is sold into the Chilean spot market. In addition to its minority interest in the facility, AMSA is the controlling party of Minera Los Pelambres.

El Arrayan connects to the Sistema Interconectado Central's 220kV transmission system. The facility is located on approximately 15,320 acres of coastal land on a long-term lease with a single landowner.

Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of