EDF EN Canada Commissions Community Wind Farm In Quebec

0

EDF EN Canada Inc., a subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles, has flipped the switch on the La Mitis community wind project in Quebec.

The 24.6 MW wind farm is located in the regional county municipality (MRC) of La Mitis and features 12 Senvion wind turbines. Energie renouvelable de la Mitis owns 30% of the project while EDF EN Canada holds the remaining 70%.

La Mitis is one of seven wind projects awarded to EDF in 2008 and 2010 through Hydro-Quebec Distribution calls for tenders, and the utility will buy the wind farm's output under a 20-year power purchase agreement.

According to EDF, the project created more than 150 jobs during the peak construction phase. An annual contribution of C$61,500 will be paid by the project to the MRC of La Mitis during the 20-year operational phase. In addition, EDF says the commissioning triggers a contribution of C$200,000 into a community development fund.

"The development of green and sustainable energy is a critical issue for our MRC and its 16 municipalities, and the ability to share in the revenues from the sale of electricity while providing diversification of funding sources presents a great opportunity for the local communities to benefit from the direct impact," says Noel Lambert, prefect of MRC of La Mitis.

Al Kurzenhauser, chief operating officer of EDF EN Canada, adds, "Through the entire development and construction process, EDF EN Canada has worked hand-in-hand with the MRC. Our partnership is based on a deep level of mutual trust and respect that has only been strengthened through the process of building the project. We look forward to many years of continued collaboration and success."

Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of