EDF Commissions Le Granit Community Wind Farm In Quebec

0

EDF EN Canada and Energie du Granit Inc. have announced the commissioning of the 24.6 MW Le Granit community wind project in Quebec.

EDF EN Canada, an EDF Energies Nouvelles company, owns 70% of the project, and Energie du Granit, a company wholly owned by the MRC du Granit and 16 of its municipalities, holds the remaining 30% stake.

Located on the lands of the municipality of Saint-Robert-Bellarmin, the community wind farm features 12 Senvion turbines. Hydro-Quebec Distribution is buying the project's output under a 20-year power purchase agreement.

‘This is the second wind project on the territory of the MRC du Granit and our first investment in renewable energy,’ says Andre St-Marseille, president of Energie du Granit. ‘The commissioning of Le Granit wind farm complements a partnership established in 2009. Energie du Granit will finally see the results of its participation since the financial benefits could be used for the development of our rural communities, in a context where municipalities need more than ever to diversify their income."

EDF notes that the project employed more than 100 persons during the peak construction phase, and an annual contribution of $61,500 will be paid during the 20-year operational phase to the municipality of Saint-Robert-Bellarmin.

Le Granit is one of seven wind energy projects awarded to EDF EN Canada in 2008 and 2010 through Hydro-Quebec Distribution calls for tenders. It also represents the third wind farm the developer has built in partnership with an MRC, with the other two being the 24.6 MW La Mitis and 300 MW Lac Alfred projects.

By the end of 2015, the EDF EN Canada says it will have placed into service 1,374 MW of wind and solar projects in Canada.

Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of