Varian Semiconductor Equipment Associates, a supplier of ion implant equipment to semiconductor manufacturers, has received approval from the Gloucester City Council to construct two wind turbines at its world headquarters property in Gloucester, Mass.
The two 2.5 MW wind turbines are projected to produce 14 million kWh of power annually, about 65% of Varian's yearly use of electricity. Varian will be able to use approximately 70% of that power, with the remaining 30% being sold back to the local power company.
In addition, Varian has agreed to partner with the Gloucester School Department to share information about the science as well as the economic and policy considerations surrounding alternative energy technologies, according to the company. This will become part of the school department's educational programs, and Varian has also agreed to allow the wind turbines to be used as an on-site laboratory for the schools.
Varian expects to start site work in spring 2008.