Vestas says it has been selected as the preferred turbine supplier for five wind projects in South Africa in response to the country's December 2011 call for tenders.
Vestas will be the preferred supplier to the following projects, which total 297 MW in capacity:
- West Coast 1 (94 MW, GDF Suez/IPR);
- SA Tsitsikamma (95.33 MW, Cennergi (Pty) Ltd.);
- Grahamstown (24.6 MW, EDF EN France);
- Grassridge (61.5 MW, EDF EN France); and
- Chaba (21.53 MW, EDF EN France).
Vestas and the project developers have six months to close the transactions, by which point Vestas must negotiate and finalize turbine supply, service and maintenance and construction contracts.
Vestas has been active in South Africa for 10 years, and the company opened an office serving southern and eastern Africa in 2010.