Grapevine, Texas-based GreenHunter Wind Energy LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of GreenHunter Energy Inc., has announced the recent auction results for new power transmission capacity on the Wyoming-Colorado Intertie (WCI) power transmission line. The WCI power transmission line will be the first transmission line built in this region of the country in over five years and is estimated to be in service by 2013.
A section of the line will run within 15 miles of GreenHunter Wind Energy's previously announced Wheatland Wind project, located on approximately 20,000 acres of federal Bureau of Land Management land near Wheatland, Wyo.
The Wheatland Wind project has the potential for up to 600 MW in wind generation capacity. GreenHunter Wind Energy will own 65% of the project and the Southern Ute Growth Fund, a significant shareholder of GreenHunter Energy, will own the remaining 35%.
‘By winning the capacity on a planned transmission line of this magnitude, we believe we have added significant value to our proposed Wheatland, Wyo., wind development project,’ says Stephen A. Wiley, president of GreenHunter Renewable Power. ‘This auction and the ensuing contract we have entered into is essentially a reservation to transmit power on the WCI power transmission line into a market that we believe shows very promising demand for renewable power.’
SOURCE: GreenHunter Wind Energy LLC