Dell is now powering 100% of its 2.1 million square-foot global headquarters campus in Texas with green power, the latest step in meeting the company's 2008 carbon-neutral commitment.
Dell is using all of the power generated from Waste Management's Austin Community Landfill gas-to-energy plant, meeting 40% of Dell headquarters' campus power needs. The remaining 60% comes from existing wind farms and is provided by TXU Energy.
‘Powering an entire campus with green power, in partnership with these two leading companies, is an important step in becoming the greenest technology company on the planet and the right thing to do for our shared earth,’ says Paul Bell, president of Dell Americas. ‘At the same time, we're using green technology to drive operating expense down.’
Dell also announced that it is increasing green power use for its Austin Parmer Campus, provided by Austin Energy, from 8% to 17%. The company is a participant in Austin Energy's GreenChoice power program. Dell is powering its Twin Falls, Idaho, facility with 100% green power, 97% of which is from wind power and 3% from solar.