Constellation NewEnergy (CNE), a Baltimore-based electricity suppler and subsidiary of Constellation Energy, won a bid for a 10-year, 30 MW power purchase agreement to provide wind power to the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC), a Laurel, Md.-headquartered provider of clean water.
The wind power will be generated by a project located in Somerset County, Pa., and developed by Edison Mission Group, a subsidiary of Edison International. Beginning Jan. 1, 2008, WSSC will receive 85% of the wind project's power, output while CNE will retain and market the remaining 15%, the companies say.
This agreement will meet WSSC's goal of consuming wind power for approximately one-third of its electricity needs. In addition, it will lower the company's energy expenditures by an estimated $20 million dollars over 10 years.