Researchers at the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), Washington, D.C., recently released a study that reveals a combination of energy efficiency and renewable energy can reduce Florida's electricity needs by almost half (45%) over the next 15 years.
The study, titled ‘Potential for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy to Meet Florida's Growing Energy Demands,’ outlines policies to reduce electricity demand and to develop renewable energy resources, such as wind and solar. The efficiency policies would moderate 2023 electricity demand by 19%, while the renewable policies would reduce electricity by an additional 26% – for a total reduction of 45%.
According to ACEEE, Florida currently generates 0.1% of its electricity from renewable resources, compared to a national average of 2.3%. The study recommends the state implement policies to increase the production of renewable energy, such as more stringent building energy codes and a renewable portfolio standard that sets a target for utilities to procure a share of their power from renewable resources.
The report is available for download at http://aceee.org/pubs/e072.htm